About Swedish life Cycle Center
Founded in 1996 and hosted by Chalmers University of Technology, the Swedish Life Cycle Center is a center of excellence and collaboration platform for academia, research institutes, industry and government agencies. It fosters competence-building and knowledge exchange in advancing and applying the life cycle field. With its multidisciplinary methodology and collaboration between researchers, practitioners and decision-makers, the Center is a recognized player in the field. By bringing together Swedish life cycle competence and front-running companies, it has been instrumental in developing and adopting life cycle approaches within Swedish society and making important contributions to international initiatives.
The Center’s vision is “credible and applied life cycle thinking globally” and the mission is to work for the integration of the life cycle perspective into processes and decision-making in industry, government policy and other parts of society. It is a partner-driven collaboration, with the partners setting the agenda and managing all the activities. Today, the Center consists of a network of some 500 people (between the various partners) involved in research projects, working groups (for learning) and expert groups (for impact and influence), training (professionals and higher education) and in networking and communication activities (internal conferences, webinars etc.).
More about us
HistoryThe center has a history of more than 25 years and has become a well known platform for life cycle professionals.
OrganizationThe Center has a board and a Technical secretariat for the maintenance and coordination.
More to read or printInformation folders and reports are available for you to read online or print.
“Swedish Life Cycle Center has been instrumental for the development and
adoption of the life cycle perspective in Swedish companies and
has made important contributions to international standardization
in the life cycle field.”
Professor Emerita Anne-Marie Tillman, one of the founders of the center
Our mission is to work for the integration of the life cycle perspective into processes and decision making in industry, government policy and other parts of society. The increased application of the life cycle perspective leads to increasedresource efficiency that enhances sustainable production and consumption patterns, new innovations, and a sustainable circular economy. The life cycle perspective opens possibilities of working towards our common sustainability challenges and sustainable development goals.
How we work
No matter what activities we perform the foundation is:
- Relevant & scientifically based methods, practices & tools
- Support the competence & knowledge building
- Influence national & international initiatives
Credible and applied life cycle thinking for decision making
“The foundation for the center is mutual learning, our activities have a scientific base combined with the users’ and practitioners’ perspective on implementation and decision making.“
Sara Palander, Director Swedish Life Cycle Center
Short facts about us:
Swedish Life Cycle Center is a center of excellence and collaboration platform for academia, research institutes, industry and government agencies. It fosters competence-building and knowledge exchange in advancing and applying the life cycle field.Read more about Swedish Life Cycle Center
This is a value-adding partnership
• Obtain tools and inspiration for new strategies andworking processes to implement in your operations.
• Set the research agenda for joint efforts.
• Collaborate in joint research projects with academia, research institutes and partners in industry and authorities involved.
• Capacity building through close contact with other experts within the life cycle field.
• Obtain access to high quality decision support and a network of almost 500 life cycle professionals.
• Find new ways to manage long-term sustainability.
• Make a larger impact through joint efforts to influence national and international initiatives.
• Benchmark the partners within the center.
• Be highlighted as a frontrunner in sustainability. Your good examples, research and other initiatives are communicated by Swedish Life Cycle Center.
• Access to web forum for close contact with partners and regular updates.
Read more about the center's achievements
The activities of Swedish Life Cycle Center are summarized continuously and gathered in Annual reports and Stage summaries. Read some of them here.