Biodiversity and life cycle assessment Working groupType Working group
Global biodiversity loss is a key challenge, with an array of human activities resulting in negative trends for species and ecosystems. What is the status of the LCA research on including assessments of biodiversity pressures in various environments? How are standards and methodologies, etc. developing in the biodiversity area, and what are the gaps?
Overall aim of expert group
The overall aim is to share insights regarding ongoing activities on addressing biodiversity pressures from agriculture, forestry, and marine activities and initiate collaborations. This will be done by
i) creating awareness on ongoing research, current status and methodologies related to biodiversity assessments in LCA;
ii) follow the development of methodologies and applications in standards in the area; and
iii) disseminate knowledge and contribute to formation of guidelines, standards, and policies.
Planned activities & expected outcomes
Meeting #1 Current status of LCA and biodiversity assessments and ongoing research
Aim: Common understanding of current research status related to biodiversity assessments in LCA in different ecosystems.
Discussion issues (topics): Potential Workshop Theme
Outcome: Overview of research on Biodiversity & LCA. Next step and identify people interested in the topic for follow-up meetings.
Speakers: Ulrika Palme, Chalmers University of Technology, Serina Ahlgren, RISE and Kristina Bergman, KTH
- Introduction to Swedish Life Cycle Center and the working group Biodiversity
- Presentations on Biodiversity (Agriculture-Serina Ahlgren, Rise, Forest-Ulrika Palme, Chalmers, Ocean-Kristina Bergman, KTH)
- How can the working group contribute to research?
- What are the gaps?
- Other questions
Meeting #2 Workshop – knowledge gaps
Title: Knowledge gaps for improved assessments of biodiversity
- Present an overview of
- existing assessment methods of relevance for products (LCA-related and beyond)
- which tools are used today by industry
- demands on societal actors, now and upcoming
- Identify key knowledge gaps for improved product-based assessments
- data availability
- methodological improvements of value/needed
Outcome: Get an overview of opportunities and challenges for product-level assessments of biodiversity and identify possible common research activities in the area.
Meeting #3 with working group Biodiversity and life cycle assessment
Outcome: This workshop aims to identify common knowledge-building research activities in the area and networks for tangible next steps.